Monday, September 17, 2007







My term in Iraq
I will always retain only fond memories of my time spent in Iraq. And for the record I am trying like hell to get back. I worked for KBR driving a flatbed Army issue rig much like the one pictured here. Driving about in southern Iraq, I recall the terrain-think of Cisco, UT only flatter. The camel herds like the ones pictured above. The little children running hell bent across the desert to meet us and beg for a handout. I'd love to be on the first Salvation Army convoy that could safely deliver handouts to those children and their families. I remember the losses of fellow drivers-and remember the words over a memorial"All gave some, some gave ALL" There is something that can be said for the bonds formed with buddies while serving together in a war zone. I wish them all the best and hope to join them soon if at all possible.
My son, Matthew goes over soon, my son in law returns soon. I can't sit idly by when I am fit and able to serve in some capacity. And yes, I look forward to the time off at some Kuwaitti seaside resort.

9 comments:

RangerBill said...

Tonight I deliver my load of diapers into Dallas. I hope to get dispatched in a manner that leads me Westward. Check out my other blog, the Librarian. A good post there. Access through my profile.

Heidi said...

Back to Iraq... a friends husband was just sent back, and another one just came home. I am thankful for their safety and for what they are doing. I see what their families go through and the strength it take to do it. I hope you get the job, then you can return to play in the HITW.

Stan Harrington said...

A two blogger now - two good books, when they come out in video? If you do back over, just keep your head down but remember one thing, when you have your head down your ass makes a bigger target! Sit on your helmet!

RangerBill574 said...

I'll keep that in mind. Sitting on my helmet that is. Got a call from the actual driver stafffing spec-he has sent my app on up for rehire approval so in a week I may know more. This is the furthest Ive been since I came back in Dec 05. Things on track I think. Who wants to watch Spike for me?

Shana said...

I will watch Spike but you may need a new dog when you get back...Warren may not give him up...but it will cost you an I Did Iraq hat.

RangerBill574 said...

THAT JUST MAY BE A DEAL.....SHANA.
GOT A CALL TODAY, REHIRE APPROVED NOT THE HURDLES BETWEEN NOW AND GETTING TO HOUSTON. PSYCH TEST, BACKGROUND CHECK.....

RangerBill574 said...

NOT "NOT" BUT "NOW"

Unknown said...

So you made it to Iraq, and home again. I see you're back in GJ now. I'm making my way back to denver. I currently live in DSM, IA. Hopefully you can see my e-mail because I couldn't e-mail you through Reunion. Mom is well.

Unknown said...

Spike? what happened to the other dog?