Monday, September 10, 2007









I regretfully missed the 1st annual True Grit Days held this last weekend in Ridgeway, Colorado. And sorry to have missed the annual PRCA rodeo there the week before.
True Grit was filmed in Western Colorado. The script had us believing it to be Ft. Smith, Arkansas but sorry-it was Ridgeway, Colorado. John Wayne played Rooster Cogburn, Kim Darby played Mattie Ross, Glen Campbell played the Texas Ranger and Robert Duvall played Lucky Ned Pepper. Watch the movie and enjoy some beautiful Colorado fall colors. It was filmed in the fall. I went to school with many of those kids swinging on the playground during the hanging scenes. The scenes of dugout if they seem familiar-they should-Watch North to Alaska and the same scene is in that movie as well. Rest in Peace Big Man-Rest in Peace and you will never be forgotten by your fans.

5 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

I just want you to know that I made an extensive comment, went to post and blogspot.com was down so it was lost, outage occurrred at 2156. Thanks for explaining the topic of fall colors, I just love the fall colors and I have been looking in June for them - I did not know that the fall colors actually occurr in the fall! Are you sure? I am posting before I loose this one!

Stan Harrington said...

True Grit was a good movie, could have been better without squeaky Glen Campbell playing a role, how about John Voight in that role? The colors were great, was that in the fall? Any movie with John Wayne and Kateryn Hepburn is going to be good. Did you know the Freedom Medal of Honor (civillian award) was minted in his honor and he was the first recipient. I would like to see the Academy award him an Honorary Oscar for his last movie, "The Shootist". My humble opinion it was the best he ever did and the story line played so well with his life. All of the "movie legends" are disappearing with no one to take their place, the modern young actors are hot for a few years and then disappear, especially the actresses - seems that sex sells and once they loose the sex appeal - they are finished. You have to admit that Hepburn was not a sexy woman, but she was a grand lady! I am going to go get my binoculars and look for fall colors - can you see them after dark?

Stan Harrington said...

P.S. Navy came out with a new ship, asking for volunteers - may want to consider - deatils posted at my blog site.

RangerBill574 said...

Yes, fall colors occur in the fall.

Stan Harrington said...

Your words not mine, "Watch the movie and enjoy some beautiful Colorado fall colors. It was filmed in the fall." Perhaps I assumed to much, if I was enjoying some beautiful fall colors, I would only assume that the film was done in the fall - or I would be seeing green grass and leaves and worse yet, I could not see anything but the vastness of snow. You sure the fall colors occur in the fall? I don't want to miss anything.