Tuesday, November 07, 2006

As a new feature on this blog I am going to attempt to challenge those who visit this site.
In keeping with the name I shall offer trivia of geographical interest and pose some homework
type questions that may require you to find a good road atlas. As well, I will keep you posted on
my travels and trevails . I will try to avoid any editorial comments. But before I do I have one
last comment regarding the electoral outcome we are now facing. The voters have done it,
we made our wishes known. Unfortunately I think we have voted for two years of political and legislative
gridlock. Hopefully the new majority will not waste time and dollars trying to impeach the
President . Hopefully we will complete what we started in Iraq otherwise I would predict that
we will be back there 20 years from now. I hope the next reminder that the war on terror wages
onward is not as costly as on September 11, 'but make no mistake those who wish us harm
have not called off the jihad against us. Having San Fran Nan third in line for the Presidency really
scares me more than Carter did. More than Clinton ever did. Let us hope Bush continues to have his
and Cheney's food tasted before consumption. President Pelosi is not a headline I ever want to
wake up to.

I make my living driving the Interstate highway system. There are 42,795 miles of Interstate highways.
These are spread amongst 62 super-highways. 27 are numbered with even numbers. 35 with odd.
In addition to these there are 261 beltways. What we truckers like about the interstate is the consistency
in design. At least two lanes going in each direction, each 12 feet wide. Wide shoulders and breakdown
lanes. Minimum clearances sufficient to allow standard rigs passage without low clearance concerns.
Designs to allow faster speed and routing to avoid transitting towns and cities. All this gets the good
to market faster, safer. Ground for this engineering marvel was broken in 1956. We have a republican
to thank for it. Eisenhower was the one credited with the Interstate Highway system.

Q-what was the original purpose of this highway system?
Q-what direction do even numbered interstate highways run?
Q-what direction do odd numbered interstate highways run?
Q-Only three run from coast to coast-which ones?
Q-Only three run from our Southern to our Northern border-name them.

I have been blessed to miss storm systems and to remain out West. I've been through Montrose
and visited with Dorothy. Final bonus Q-this current run picked up in El Paso, TX and delivers to
1)Vista, CA-which interstates did I drive to get there?

13 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

You can find your way from the east coast to the west coast, I am glad you found your way to your blog. You know, if you do it more often you will not need to call Alaska to ask for directions.
Great trivia questions, just happens to be my subject.
Question 1: General President Eisenhower devopled the Interstate Highway system to transport military equipment faster.
#2 Even numbered higheways run east west unless you are going west then they run west east.
#3 Odd numbers of interstates run south to north unless you live in Michigan and it is snowing, then it goes north to south so you can enjoy Florida
#4 Interstate 70, 40, and 66 run coast to coast - except Route 66 only runs from La To Chicago but it is not an interstate.
#5 Interstate 5 runs down down the west coast from Canada to Mexico and Interstate 7 runs down from Maine to Florida.
As for the route you took with this last load, I am not sure but I bet you stoppred for a lay over in Beaver, Utah again! But I know you skipped that because you went through New Mexico, Arizona, into San Diego and up through LA and now just hanging out in San Francisco - first Beaver, Utah now San Francisco?

john r mclay said...

Q1 : To provide America with the safest, most efficient transportation system in the world – toll-free – and as a matter of national defense.
Q2 : East - West
Q3 : North – South
Q4 : I-90, I-10, and
Q5 : I-5, I-75, and I-85

Heidi said...

you mean roads go east and west? not just south...wow ...i need to get out of this state!!

Stan Harrington said...

West Heidi, highways do go both directions and in some places you can drivbe from state to state in less time than driving from LA to Silicone Valley (my new name for Wasilla and Palmer. There has been an large increase in the number of women living in the valley having a little augmentation surgery. You might also be intrested in knowing that streets run north to south and avenues run west to east with odd numbered houses on the left, even numbers to starboard. See, there is educational values to blogging.

Heidi said...

wow....i never new!!

Stan Harrington said...

Did you get lost again? How was the birthday party? Want to tell us what you did to celebrate?

desert winds said...

I'm kinda interested in finding out how the birthday went too. Do tell......was she.........I mean the birthday any fun?

desert winds said...

and by the way.....yes interstates do run east/west! Right through the middle of my bedroom!

Heidi said...

Windy...i bet those truckers like that!!

Stan Harrington said...

It is really tough maintina two blog sites, wish you would take yours over. Spike and Bill are headed northbound to Butte, Montana hauling a load of boxes for Harrington Beverages. Seems he had a good birthday layover in Denver, but somehow he lost his cowboy boots? did you know that is how you tell cowboys from truck drivers, cowboys wear tennis shoes!

RangerBill said...

Answers

the purpose was military-that is to move troops and war material quickly about the nation in time of war.

even run E-W
odd run N-S
coast to coast 90, 80, 10
border to border 5, 75, 95
extra credit 10, 8, 5

Very good everyone, remember not to confuse interstates with US highways. The numbering works differently.

Stan Harrington said...

Everyone already guess the answers! How much talc will a fifty foot trailer haul? You mean the otehr states number their highways, we just name ours, of course there is only three or four. Does Hawaii have an interstate highway?

RangerBill said...

yes HI has an interstate. If AK had an interstate they'd likely bypass Dick's Halfway Inn and then who would buy those cool shirts.
I've got alot of talc and I am sure there are alot of baby butts looking forward to it. By the way the Seattle game tonight is really good, playing it in snow.